Design and Technology is a practical subject providing opportunities for all children to design and make good quality products.
- To provide a range of activities to develop the children’s capability and confidence in their own ideas.
- To develop children’s knowledge and understanding of materials and components.
- To develop the children’s confidence and skill in selecting and using a range of tools and materials safely in order to design and make good quality products.
- To help children develop an ability to criticise constructively and evaluate their own products and those of others.
Through the Scheme of Work pupils will:
- Understand the structure and purpose of simple familiar products through investigation.
- Generate and develop ideas and explain them clearly.
- Plan and communicate design ideas in different ways.
- Develop awareness and understanding of the importance of the safe use of tools and materials.
- Recognise hazards and control risks to themselves and others.
- Develop knowledge and understanding of materials and components.
- Select appropriate tools and techniques.
- Develop practical capability.
- Design and make a range of products.
- Reflect as they design and make to identify ways of improving products.
- Evaluate their finished work.
- Plan, organise and work cooperatively or individually.