At Junction Farm Primary School, our aim is to ensure that all children enjoy Physical Education and sport. Through P.E. we aim to develop children’s knowledge, skills and understanding so that they can perform with increasing competence and confidence in a range of physical activities.
Children will have the opportunity to be creative, competitive, cooperative and face up to different challenges as individuals and in groups and teams. It promotes positive attitudes towards healthy and active lifestyles as well as life-long learning; for each child to fulfil their potential. We place the learner at the centre of what we do with the ultimate goal of children feeling valued, included, challenged and supported in their learning.
Additionally, our extended schools programme has become a great success which children take part in with enjoyment and are proud of their success.
It is essential that children are properly changed to take part in any form of physical activity:
- All children are to wear a full school PE kit comprising of the school logo P.E. Tshirt, blue/black shorts, trainers/plimpsols. If trainers are worn as part of a school uniform, children need to also have a separate pair of trainers for P.E. due to the field being muddy.
- During the Autumn/Winter months we still aim to conduct P.E. outside so children need to bring with them an additional outdoor P.E. kit including: jogging bottoms and a jumper/hoodie.
- Watches stud earrings must be removed before taking part in any PE lessons.
- Please remember that if your child needs their P.E. kit for after-school clubs, they also need to bring it back into school the following day. Ideally, P.E. kits should be brought in on a Monday and taken home on a Friday.
Wake Up and Shake Up
Children enjoy taking part in KS1/2 Wake Up and Shake Up routines in the hall for 10 minutes at the start of their morning. This engages children in a fun and lively way, as they learn easy routines and have a great time too!
The benefits and impact on each child are that: • They have a sense of well-being. • They have a stronger sense of self-esteem. • Their co-ordination improves along with their rhythm and timing. • They show improved concentration and application to tasks. • Behaviour improves. • The children are ‘awake’ and ready to learn!
The Daily Mile
At last play time every day KS1 and KS2 all take part in The Daily Mile. It is not a competitive 15 minutes: most children will average a mile in that time, with some doing more and some doing less. It is not PE, sport or cross-country but a physical activity which is aimed at improving the children’s physical, social, emotional, mental health and wellbeing. It can help children to focus and concentrate in the classroom and raise their attainment. All we ask is that children have their P.E trainers in school every day to be able to fully take part. Over the last term we have seen an improvement in children’s fitness levels and we feel as a school this is helping towards that.
To view the Full Physical Education Policy CLICK HERE.
School Games mark is a Government led awards scheme launched in 2012 to reward schools for their commitment to the development of competition across their school and into the community. Schools in England are able to assess themselves across bronze, silver and gold levels of the Kitemark.. The benefits of the Gamesmark are :-
- Ensures rigour and sustainability in the planning, monitoring and continuous development of high quality physical education and sport
- Recognises outstanding practice and innovation in physical education and sport
- Raises the profile of physical education and sport at a local, regional and national level
- Involves individuals and groups in recording and celebrating success so that the school ‘stands out from the crowd’
- Recognises best practice in physical education and sport and provides a platform for sharing excellence and success
- Promotes a positive message to the local community
- Celebrates excellence in the organisation, management and delivery of physical education and sport
We have achieved the Gold Award.